scott-walker.de

Aktuelle Zeit: Do 28. Mär 2024, 21:03

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 56 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: Mo 6. Jun 2011, 23:22 

John Walker’s Funeral Mass on June 4, 2011
Bild
My name is Mary Pablo and I am a massive fan of the Walker Brothers. Unfortunately, I never met John Walker or attended any of his concerts. I just own ALL of the Walker Brothers albums and singles including John’s late 1960s solo album for Philips Records.
When I heard John Walker died, I was indeed very, very sad. Through the Black Cats yahoo group, I found out that John’s Funeral Mass was open to fans on June 4th at 10 AM. Since I live in Thousand Oaks (80 miles north of Monrovia where John’s church is located), I realized that attending John’s funeral mass would not be a problem. So, my 9-year-old daughter and I got up early on June 4th to make the trip to the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Monrovia, CA.
The church was small, but very beautiful inside. There were lots of flowers, candles, and a giant cross made with flowers was at the altar. There were no photos of John. There was also no usual funeral mass schedule/pamphlet/photo given to attendees. I am writing this simply from memory of the events that occurred inside the church. There were about 50 people who attended the funeral mass and were entirely family and friends. My daughter and I sat in one of the back rows at the church.
The Mass began with Father Charles Ramirez speaking about John. He thanked all the family and friends that came. A beautiful religious song that was sung by John was played through its entirety (about 4 minutes) and was used as a moment of silence and a way to pray for John’s soul. I am not sure if the song was a recording released by John or if it was just for the church as I do not own any of John’s later solo recordings.
The service continued on as a traditional Roman Catholic Mass with a deletion of a few prayers to accommodate the attendees. There were readings of bible passages with a couple people doing the readings and lots of singing of religious songs with the church organ being played. However, when the priest spoke prior to communion, he spoke specifically about John Walker. Father Charles spoke of John’s talent and skill as a musician and his immense popularity in the 60s and 70s. And because of his popularity, many people LISTENED to him and his music. He made a big impact in music back then. Father Charles then focused on how in the last few days of his life, John was the one listening. Father Charles was there during his last days when he prayed with him until the end. He described John being very weak and not being able to say a word. He asked him, “Can you hear me?” John could only nod his head. At this point, I became very emotional because I realized that John’s final days were very painful. Father Charles spoke about John leaving Earth, going to heaven, being at peace now, and that we should pray for him. Father Charles emphasized that John was born with the Church and remained faithful until he died. That was a very moving and powerful moment for me because I realized that John remained a faithful Catholic which I have in common with him.
Communion was offered to the Roman Catholics in attendance. About 15 people had communion including my daughter. I could not do communion as I have not confessed my sins recently. During communion, two more John Walker inspirational songs were played. Again, I did not recognize them. Final words were spoken about John and Father Charles asked attendees if anyone would like to say anything about him. Nobody got up to speak on his behalf. I wanted to, but since I was at the back of the church, I was not given time to walk up. Finally, Father Charles mentioned that throughout the week, he will ask all the people who attend Mass at the church to pray for John. A final John Walker song was played from the 60s which I recognized (the title escapes me at this time). The funeral mass was over. The people up front were greeting guests and hugging each other.
In the back row, I befriended a woman who came in very late. She asked me if the service was for John and I nodded. She felt bad she was so late. I asked her if she knew John. She said she did and had known him for a very long time as she was his next door neighbor. She asked about me and I told her that I never knew John personally, just his great music. The lady was very touched that I came a relatively long way to pay my respects that she personally introduced me and my daughter to John’s wife, Cynthia. Cynthia warmly greeted us and thanked us so much for coming. She told us to come outside to the front of the church as white doves would be released into the sky in a few minutes. Cynthia was more beautiful in person than the pictures I have seen or in the videos on YouTube. She was so kind and gracious to me and my daughter. I will never forget her.
Outside, all the attendees gathered and the white doves were released into the sky with the church bells playing for a few minutes. It was a beautiful final farewell to John Walker. I felt so privileged to be in attendance.
I decided not to attend the reception about 10 miles away at a restaurant. I was only able to take a few photos with my cell phone outside as nobody except another woman took any photos. A very short video clip of the doves released was captured by me. The entire service lasted a total of 1 hour and 15 minutes. It was a very simple, but moving service. I will never forget this day. Rest in peace Mr. John Walker.

Bild
June 4, 2011: John Walker’s Funeral attendees. John’s widow, Cynthia, at center.

Bild
June 4, 2011: John Walker funeral attendees waiting for the releasing of the doves into the sky.

Bild
Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Monrovia, CA where John Walker’s funeral mass took place on June 4, 2011

Bild
Immaculate Conception Church. John Walker was a member of its congregation.

BeitragVerfasst: Di 7. Jun 2011, 10:03 

Ich bin zutiefst gerührt ... R.I.P. John ...

BeitragVerfasst: Di 7. Jun 2011, 11:43 

John, Du warst ein großartiger Mensch. Hab Dank für alles !!!

BeitragVerfasst: Di 7. Jun 2011, 12:07 

Cynthia:

http://www.thewalkerbrothersjohnwalker.com/

... und das Video von seinem letzten Auftritt am 16. März 2011 *seufz* :cry:

BeitragVerfasst: Di 7. Jun 2011, 12:36 

Gerd hat geschrieben:
Cynthia:

http://www.thewalkerbrothersjohnwalker.com/

... und das Video von seinem letzten Auftritt am 16. März 2011 *seufz* :cry:

Er sieht darauf schon sehr schmal aus.

BeitragVerfasst: Mi 15. Jun 2011, 08:54 

Hier ist nochmal ein Bericht über John's Trauerfeier. Mehr emotional und informativ als der erste Bericht, so empfinde ich es. Man kann auch lesen, dass sowohl Gary als auch Scott schriftlichen Anteil genommen haben.

The warm sun shone on the small, beautiful church which when entered greeted you with the perfume of the wonderful floral decorations and candles. In prominence was an amazing large floral cross. The organist was playing 'We Are The Light Of The World' , 'Christ, Be Our Light', 'Here I am Lord', and 'On Eagles Wings'. Each person received a little laminated card with a picture of John and the words of 'The Promise' , John's signature was on the reverse.. Once the 80 or so mourners, mainly family and friends were seated the Funeral Mass began with 'Ave Maria' being sung beautifully by Laurie Bullara a friend of John and Cynthia's. Sadly Father Charles Ramirez the resident priest who knew John well was unable to conduct the ceremony due to being away at the present time but never the less the service proceeded in an excellent way by his stand in who's name regretfully I did not get. He said a few words about John and a special thank you to all who were in attendance. This was followed by John's recording of 'I Believe' which sounded even more wonderful than usual, this brought tears to my eyes. Next prayers were said followed by a reading taken from the Old Testament, The book of Wisdom, this was read jointly by Cynthia's father and step mother. Then came the psalm 'Shepherd Be Me, O God' followed by the Priest talking about John's life and career, he mentioned the great pleasure John had brought to so many people and how very talented he was. Considering he was not the regular priest who knew John he spoke very well and truly. It was he who spent time with John at the end and he spoke of how very weak John was but was able to communicate with the nod of his head. Next communion was offered to those who wished to take it, whilst this was in progress John's recordings ' Amazing Grace' and ' The Promise' were played. Cynthia's niece then read from the letter of Paul to the Romans taken from The Old Testament. More prayers were said and finally the priest asked that everyone attending mass in the future pray for John so that he may rest in peace. Mourners, many with tears in their eyes including me, left the church to John's recording of 'Crying In The Chapel'. The service was truly beautiful and I am sure John was proudly looking down on us all. Once outside everyone spoke of John and his life whilst the bells rang and white doves were released, I thought that was a lovely touch. Most people then travelled to The 322 Club in Sierra Madre for the celebration of John's life, this is where John did his last live performance so very fitting that it should take place there. We all enjoyed a delicious buffet whilst telling stories of John. There was a John walker cake, a photograph of which I attach. Needless to say I did not take photographs at the church out of respect for John and Cynthia's families but felt able to take the cake because it was not an intrusion on any ones privacy . Each person received a packet of John's favourite sweets ' Good and Plenty Licorice Candy' known in the UK as 'Liquorice Comfits'. Many 100's of tributes were received and a selected 40 were read aloud by 5 people, one of the readers was John's son Jamie. Tributes read included one each from Scott and Gary . After the tributes were read a video of John's life and achievements was shown a very fitting end to a sad day but a true refection on John's life. Rest in peace John, we will never forget you.

Bild

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 56 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]